Alexa’s pleasant, feminine voice has filled millions of homes in recent years, but now Amazon has finally published a masculine counterpart for it. Amazon is late for this – for years, both Apple and Google have provided different voices, both feminine and masculine, in their virtual assistants. But late or not, it’s great that Amazon is finally giving Alexa some alternative.
In addition to the two main Alexa voices, Amazon also has celebrity voices (currently you can choose between Samuel L.Jackson, Shaquille O’Neal, and Melissa McCarthy). They are programmed to work with specific sentences and answer selected questions – mainly alarms and timers, jokes or weather reports. They also cost $ 5 each. All queries for an Echo device that is not supported by the selected celebrity voice will be answered from the original Alexa voice.
You can change the sound of Alexa on your Echo devices in two ways: through the device itself or through the Alexa app. Note that exchanging audio through the device was less reliable for us – the surest way to do that is through an app.
Changing the sound only applies to the Echo device you’re currently using – if you want to switch to masculine sounds on multiple speakers or monitors in your home, you’ll need to do it one at a time. Also, the Alexa sound used by the smartphone app itself cannot be changed; it remains an original, feminine voice. Hopefully, Amazon will add a way to change it globally for all Echo devices in your account in the future.
Here’s how to change Alexa’s voice on your Echo without any additional steps:
In an echo or echo performance:
- Say the command “Alexa change your voice”.
- If you have more than one echo, Alexa will ask you to configure the device.
- Say the name of the device whose sound you want to change.
- If it succeeds, Alexa will respond with a new voice and confirm that it will sound in the future.
- If that doesn’t work, Alexa says something like “Sorry, [name of your device] does not support it. “
In the Alexa app for iOS or Android:
- Tap the Devices tab at the bottom.
- Tap the Echo & Alexa button in the upper left corner.
- Tap the device you want to change to Alexa voice.
- Tap the Settings gear button in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down to Alexa’s Voice and tap it.
- Select either Original (feminine voice) or New (masculine voice).
How to use celebrity rule:
- Say, “Alexa introduces me [name of celebrity]. ”
- Alexa moves on to the celebrity voice you choose and explains the things you can do with it. If you would like to purchase audio, you will be asked to confirm payment to your Amazon account.
- Once it is enabled, you can say “Hello [celeb name]“To wake up the Echo device. You can also turn on the sound in each echo where you want to use it. Normal Alexa sound is still available if you use Alexa’s wake-up word.