In the Anime Expo Lite panel, LucasFilm revealed the first review Star Wars: Visions, an upcoming anthology of short anime movies set in a distant galaxy. The sneak peek included a huge amount of visual styles and ideas, with shorts that included rock opera, Chibi Boba Fett, straw-hat droids, a two-star destroyer, and more.
“We really wanted to give these factors a broad birth of creativity to explore Star Wars “LucasFilm producer James Waugh said during the panel.” We wanted this to be as authentic as possible for the studios and the filmmakers. The idea was that this is their view that eliminates everything Star Wars a galaxy that inspires them. “
The shorts announced at the event and the studios working on them include:
- Duel by Kamikaze Douga (Batman Ninja)
- Lop & Ocho by Geno Studio (Golden Kamuy)
- Tattooed Rhapsody by Studio Colorido (Mustache gone)
- Gemini and Senior by Trigger (Tapa La Kill)
- The village bride by Kinema Citrus (Tokyo magnitude 8.0)
- Akakiri and T0-B1 by Science Saru (Japan is sinking)
- The ninth Jedi production IG (Ghost in the Shell)
Visions first announced last December and described as the “original short film series” Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best Japanese anime creators. “The anthology will be available on Disney Plus when it premieres on September 22nd.
Anime has become a major focus for streaming services, with both Netflix and Amazon Prime by grabbing big names. Visions is the first major anime series to debut on Disney Plus. It said fan projects have clearly shown previously Star Wars and anime fit well.